William Dengate, 1939
Birth: 30 June 1852, Peasmarsh, East Sussex
Baptism: 19 August 1852, Rye Methodist Chapel, East Sussex
Marriage: 18 May 1878, St Andrew's Church, Hastings, East Sussex
Death: 30 September 1944, Hastings, East Sussex
Burial: 4 October 1944, Hastings Cemetery, East Sussex
William Dengate was born on the 30 June 1852 to Thomas and Frances Dengate in Peasmarsh, East Sussex. He was baptised in the Rye Methodist Chapel on the 19 August 1852. His parents belonged to the Rye Methodist Circuit and had their first children baptised here. Their later children were baptised in the Church of England church in Peasmarsh.
Rye Methodist Chapel, 2004
The 1871 census shows William as an 18 year old living in the King's Head pub in Peasmarsh with his parents and brothers and sisters. His occupation is listed as an agricultural labourer. Seven years later, William married Elizabeth Jane Penny in St Andrew's Church, Queen's Road, Hastings, on the 18 May 1878. Witnesses to the marriage were Thomas Penny and Sarah Ann Cruttenden.
St Andrew's Church, Queen's Road, Hastings
The couple had 5 children; Flora Elizabeth, William Thomas, Nellie Jane, Albert Henry and Frederick Charles Dengate - all baptised in St Andrew's Church, Hastings.
At the time of the 1881 census William and Elizabeth Jane Dengate were living in 47 St Andrews Road, Hastings with William working as a carman. Also living at 47 St Andrew's Road was William's brother Ernest Alfred Dengate.
By 1882 the family were living at 59 Stonefield Road, Hastings, where they were living at the time of the 1901 census, with William working as a wholesale grocers carman. William's sister Fanny Dengate gave 59 Stonefield Road has her place of residence at the time of her 1884 marriage to William Christmas.
William had a keen interest in Methodism, as did his brothers Jim, Charles and John. William attended the Park Road Methodist chapel in Hastings.
William's son Albert Henry lived out his active life in Australia, returning to England upon retirement. When asked why he left Australia by his cousin Joan Dengate he replied that he was fed up with the flies! He lived for a time at 14 Waterworks Road, a house owned by Cecil Dengate with whom he used to holiday in Europe.
William Dengate (left) with his brother Ernest Alfred Dengate, c.1930
Elizabeth Jane Dengate died 30 March 1933 in Hastings and was buried in Hastings Cemetery. Her death was announced in the 1 April 1933 Hastings and St Leonards Observer.
William Dengate attended the Dengate Reunion in 1939 alongside his 5 brothers and 2 sisters at the Masonic Hall in Hastings.
William's home was attacked by enemy action on the 10 October 1940 during an air attack on the west hill. The house, owned by a Mr Wilkins was valued at £22 and suffered several broken windows and damage to the door. Fortunately, nobody was injured in the attack.
William died on the 30 September 1944 in Hastings, East Sussex aged 92 years, and was buried 4 October 1944 in Hastings Cemetery with his wife Elizabeth Jane, close by to his brother Ernest Alfred Dengate. The funeral was conducted by Rev. C.G. Craggs. His death was announced in the 7 October 1944 Hastings and St Leonards Observer, along with an obituary of his life.
William and Elizabeth Jane Dengate's grave
The grave inscription reads, 'In Loving memory of Elizabeth Jane Dengate, who died March 30th 1933 in her 80 year. Reunited. Also of William Dengate who died September 30th 1944, aged 92. At rest'
Dengate Family Bible
© Copyright N. Goodwin MMII